During the Move to Canvas project (to transition courses from SmartSite to UC Davis Canvas, our new learning management system), we continue to learn and adapt as instructors and students gain experience with the system. In this report, we want to share with our community some lessons learned during the fall quarter 2016 grading period, which provided our first experience with wide-scale use of the grade-publishing feature in UC Davis Canvas. … Continue reading
If you own a project site in SmartSite and wonder what to do with it now that the service is going away, we have updates.
The first is that project sites can continue in SmartSite past spring quarter—but please notice the key phrase, “project sites.” As previously announced, the capability for teaching with SmartSite will conclude after June.
The second update is that Information and Educational Technology is assembling a team to help project site owners identify new locations for the project work they’ve been housing in SmartSite.
This is our latest update on the 2016-17 transition to UC Davis Canvas from SmartSite. The adoption rate continues to grow. Approximately 74 percent of instructors who are teaching with a learning management system this term are using Canvas, up from 60 percent last fall. Almost all undergraduates are using Canvas for at least one course. … Continue reading
As of Jan. 9, the first day of instruction, 72 percent of winter term instructors and courses using a learning management system have chosen to use UC Davis Canvas. The other 28 percent continue to use SmartSite. … Continue reading
If you’re a faculty member using Canvas to submit grades for the first time this term, you can find instructions and assistance in several places. … Continue reading
We recently asked students and TAs for comments about UC Davis Canvas and SmartSite. Based on their responses, plus feedback from instructors, we have created this chart – it lists a few frequent difficulties we are hearing about grading with UC Davis Canvas, and how to address them. … Continue reading
As instructors gain experience using UC Davis Canvas, many want to learn about more than its core features. A new series of workshops will help satisfy that interest.
Information and Educational Technology has announced a set of UC Davis Canvas workshops for faculty and TAs through summer 2017 that will cover topics ranging from modules and rubrics to group work and mobile apps. … Continue reading
By Joey Van Buskirk
Today I want to share some tips on staying organized with UC Davis Canvas.
First, you can customize the look of any of your courses from the Dashboard. If you click on the pencil-and-paper icon in the top-right corner of the respective course tile, you will see a customization menu. Here you can rename your course, or change the color to anything you like. If you don’t see a course that you are enrolled in on your Dashboard, remember to look in Courses > All Courses menu. … Continue reading
DOLCE, or Discussing Online Learning and Collaborative Education, resumes Friday, Oct. 7. These monthly, faculty-focused meetings typically feature speakers on a variety of topics involving pedagogical and instructional technology, and this Friday’s session includes UC Davis Canvas. DOLCE meets at noon in 1310 The Grove (Surge III). See details on The Wheel.