This is our latest update on the transition to UC Davis Canvas, the new learning management system (LMS) for the campus.
A quick summary
- A basic version of UC Davis Canvas is now available. Sixty-one instructors are teaching with it during Summer Session 1.
- SmartSite will remain available for teaching through spring quarter 2017.
- Faculty, students and staff can log in to UC Davis Canvas at https://ucdavis.instructure.com
- 2016-17 is our transition year to UC Davis Canvas. Support and training for faculty, staff and students is available, including 24/7 phone and chat support (details below).
- For a migration timeline, links to resources, and more information, please see http://movetocanvas.ucdavis.edu
Canvas status and updates
- Instructors should consider when to start using UC Davis Canvas. A short guide is available at http://bit.ly/canvasdecision to help you decide. Early adopters should be comfortable with technology, and/or intend to use Canvas for basic tasks, such as sharing files and communicating with students. UC Davis Canvas will offer a fuller set of features and integrations later in the academic year.
- All Summer Session 1 course sites were generated and loaded with enrollments prior to the start of instruction. Summer Session 2 courses have now been loaded with enrollments, and Fall courses will be added in the middle of summer. Instructors who want to start developing their course sites for future quarters can do so with “sandbox sites” that have been created for them; content created in these sites can be easily imported to a course site later.
- Support for instructors, staff, TAs, and students is available from Instructure (the vendor) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including chat and phone support. Log in to Canvas at https://ucdavis.instructure.com and click on the “Help” link in the lower left corner of any page, or call UC Davis’ Canvas hotline: 844-303-8285.
- Workshops and office-hours update:
- A schedule of events, including workshops and drop-in sessions, has been created at http://movetocanvas.ucdavis.edu/events/
- Webinars about Canvas that can be viewed anytime are now available; find details at http://kb.ucdavis.edu/?id=822. Any faculty, student or staff member at UC Davis can access them.
- The Summer Institute on Teaching with Technology (SITT) on Friday, Sept. 9, will devote much of its agenda to UC Davis Canvas. SITT will be a good opportunity to explore UC Davis Canvas, ask questions, and learn how peers are using it. SITT is open to all UC Davis faculty and graduate instructors. Look for updates at http://movetocanvas.ucdavis.edu/event/sitt/
- Instructors from Instructure will offer extensive workshops at UC Davis during the week of Sept. 6-9.
- Our initial focus for 2016-17 is to transition all course sites to Canvas. If you have a project site in SmartSite that you want to re-create in UC Davis Canvas, please hold off for now.
- Many third-party learning tools or applications work with Canvas. Several are already available for use with UC Davis Canvas, and more will follow. If you would like to use a tool that is currently not available, we ask you to send us information about the tool—we are creating a form for this purpose—so that it can be evaluated for UC Davis compatibility.
More ways to learn about Canvas
The Move to Canvas project team has been presenting information about UC Davis Canvas to colleges, departments and groups. If you would like us to present to your college or department, please email us at email@example.com and we’ll set up a time to come to you. Faculty might also wish to subscribe to The Wheel, the Academic Technology Services instructional technology blog and a source of information for faculty about UC Davis Canvas; see http://wheel.ucdavis.edu/blog
Throughout this transition, if you have questions, comments, concerns, ideas, or just want to tell us how you plan to use UC Davis Canvas, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org